The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) approved laser eye surgery, which is still among the most common and secure elective operations done today. In reality, laser vision correction surgery is now regarded as being safer than ever thanks to technological advances and growing refractive surgeon experience.
How is Lasik Surgery safe?
- In 2022, it will be commonly regarded as a very secure eye procedure. Your chance of major long-term consequences is extremely minimal if you select a reputed hospital and have the procedure done by a qualified, competent surgeon.
- Additionally, the surgery has a very high patient satisfaction rate. 90% of people successfully achieve 20/20 eyesight on average.
- To further improve their vision, a very tiny percentage of patients may need a second procedure termed an enhancement or touch-up, and a very small number of people may not achieve perfect vision despite this.
- Although these patients may not completely lose their need for glasses, their postoperative power is significantly lower than it was prior to the laser eye surgery.
- Because of this, laser eye surgery is regarded as being very secure and successful for treating nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.
It has been demonstrated that laser eye surgery has a significant favourable impact on your quality of life, not only in terms of the clarity of your eyesight but also in terms of your self-confidence.
In spite of this, the surgery, like any other procedure, may have some side effects and complications. Your doctor will go over these in great detail with you before recommending the procedure.
The effects of the Surgeon & Practice:
As with any operation, your physician and the setting where your procedure is performed can have a significant impact on your final outcomes.
The FDA has approved LASIK, but they also point out that they lack the power to put into place certain of the mechanisms that others have suggested, such as these:
- Controlling LASIK procedure costs
- Regulating a physician’s routine practise
- Insisting that a patient receive specific information
- Putting in place a rating system for regulated medical equipment
The FDA cannot guarantee the standard of a surgeon’s care even if they obey the law. Even though surgery is regulated and doctors can be held accountable for malpractice, it’s still crucial to do your own research before choosing a hospital or doctor to treat you. One of the most important determinants of the procedure’s success will be your surgeon’s skill.
Benefits and drawbacks of LASIK surgery:
- Although LASIK is a short procedure, not everyone is a good candidate, especially older individuals with Presbyopia.
- The results appear quite quickly, although there may be certain concerns, such as long-lasting eye dryness.
- Permanent freedom from contact lenses and glasses, however the treatment injures the flaps
- Although the vision is significantly better, another surgery may be required soon.
What are some typical adverse effects and laser eye surgery complications?
Despite millions of eye procedures being conducted globally, according to stated US FDA data, not even a single instance of blindness has been reported following surgery for laser vision correction. According to experts, there are less than one in 100 major issues after or during this eye surgery, and those can also be easily managed. The majority of the side effects of laser eye surgery are typically harmless and self-limiting, and they include the following:
- Dry eye:
The most typical side effect of laser eye surgery is dry eyes. Your doctor may recommend SMILE or Contoura Vision as a superior choice in circumstances when the patient already has underlying dry eyes or is predisposed to the condition such as those with autoimmune illnesses, thyroid disease, etc. You will be instructed to use lubricating eye drops for a while after surgery to prevent dryness in any circumstance.
2. Vision fluctuation:
This is a very frequently experienced visual disturbance, particularly in the initial weeks following surgery. Your vision stabilises within a few weeks.
3. Visual disturbances
Visual disturbances such as glare, multiple images, and haloes: A number of patients complain of visual disturbances such as glare, multiple images, and haloes, particularly when driving at night. With advancements in laser eye surgery technology, the frequency of these complications has significantly decreased, and only a very small percentage of patients receiving the premium versions of Lasik, such as femtosecond Lasik, Contoura Vision Lasik, or SMILE, actually experience these side effects.
4. Flap loss
Flap loss and other complications related to flaps, such as ectasias and infections. Since a corneal flap is raised during corneal remodelling during eye surgery to remove spectacles. The majority of these problems are very uncommon and easily manageable.
5. The need for glasses:
A small number of patients may require eyeglasses with a much lower prescription than before to achieve the desired vision, but as was already mentioned, this percentage is extremely low. However, you will require reading glasses after the age of 40, just like everyone else who has not had vision correction surgery, as that is a normal part of aging.
Why is Lasik surgery seen to be a safe and efficient method for removing glasses?
To make an educated decision whether you are considering LASIK or any laser eye surgical procedure in India, it is best to look over the procedure’s benefits and drawbacks. The process reshapes the cornea to enable correct light transmission and restores your ability to focus as your eyes were intended to. Since there are no blades involved, the recuperation is fairly swift and has lasting effects. Success is almost always likely.
It has been demonstrated that this procedure can correct vision, and post-operative improvements can further vision. The operation only causes a small amount of pain. To ease any pain, the surgeon will also use numbing drops. Your vision is either repaired the same day or almost immediately.There are no stitches, and no uncomfortable bandages are required. Any vision changes brought on by ageing can be corrected, frequently at no cost to you. You might be able to drastically lower your vision correction prescription or do without glasses or contacts entirely. Because the laser used for the procedure is so precise, laser eye surgery has withstood the test of time and is incredibly safe.
The procedure has been the most widely used eye surgery worldwide for more than three decades, with millions of doctors and patients satisfied with its outcomes. The low frequency of adverse effects after laser eye surgery is mostly caused by two factors:
- Laser precision:
When used as a very precise knife, the laser beam cuts or removes tissue very effectively while causing no bleeding or harm to nearby tissue. Therefore, it is believed that all laser operations, including femtosecond Lasik, Contoura Vision Lasik, and SMILE, are safer than traditional laser eye surgeries. Additionally, the laser beam effectively prevents any bleeding from blood vessels and delivers regulated low intensity burns on tissue surfaces.
2. Computerized algorithms:
All current technologies use extremely complex computerised algorithms to control corneal remodelling, eliminating the chance of human error.
- In the majority of patients, LASIK surgery produces great results. After LASIK surgery, the satisfaction rates exceed 90%.
- There could be hazards, just like with any surgery on the human body. Before proceeding with LASIK surgery, it’s crucial to educate yourself on the side effects and potential risks. It’s crucial that you feel mentally at ease with the knowledge offered.
- I’ll sum up this information blog by simply saying that whether or not LASIK surgery is recommended relies on both the patient’s compatibility for the treatment and how badly the patient wants to be free of their spectacles.
The suitability check necessitates a thorough evaluation that aids in selecting the best type of LASIK surgery from among the many available options, including conventional wave front guided LASIK, Femto LASIK, Smile LASIK, etc. This evaluation must always be carried out by qualified professionals.